Monday, October 4, 2010

Changing Seasons

The weather is changing in the mountains and it brings certain things to mind. Football, folk music, soup, and scarves come first. If you find yourself in Boone rain and midterms probably spring to mind as well. But this fall all I can seem to think about is change. As the leaves shift in color, our lives also shift. So much has changed in my life over the years and the memories of my past "falls" bring a mix of joy and pain. But with every year of life that's how it goes. With hardship comes happiness, with uncertainty comes points of clarity. Yes, one year may feel like a disappointment when compared with the last but through it all God moves. He works in ways we'll never understand. I wish I could explain why life is the way it is, but I can't. God works in us like He does the leaves. He grows them, makes them beautiful, then breaks them down. But come spring they will grow again. After the fall, after our times of beauty, we experience winter. But no matter what the spring comes next. Winter does not follow winter. God will always give us the spring, a time of growth and renewal. And that is something I can rest on.

1 comment:

  1. I can't remember my last fall in Marietta. It feels so bizarre. Reminiscent of high school football games.

    ReplyDelete