Friday, May 21, 2010

New Obsession

I know I have been writing about books and their movie adaptations a lot lately but since it is now summer I have awoken my long dormant passion for historical fiction. My newest obsession is BBC's version of North and South (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417349/). This story follows the life of Margaret Hale as she travels from a lovely life in a rural southern England parish to life in the industrial north in a town called Milton. At first she hates the north with its dusty air and short mannered individuals. She especially dislikes Mr. Thornton, a factory owner (who just happens to have striking eyes). As the story continues we see a more in depth picture of industrial england as well as those forced to live and work during these times. Naturally Hale and Thornton take turns being in love with each other. Throw in some intrigue, death, and deception and there you have it...a BBC drama. But I really like this one. I guess I always had a soft spot for brooding lead males and misunderstood females. What can I say? Anyway, check it out. You can watch it on Netflix. I know it is pretty long but in order to fall in love with the characters (and see them fall in love themselves) you need to catch all four episodes. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment