Tuesday, May 25, 2010

my pocket full of sunshine,


So I'm turning sixteen soon. Exciting, right? For me, it's a relief. I can finally drive, get out of the house, away from my parents, with my friends, basically fulfilling all the East Cobb teenage necessities. But this milestone birthday means more than a "Super Sweet" party and those beloved car keys. It means I get to choose anywhere in the world to go on a trip. Thanks to this wonderful woman, my Meme (my grandmother on my father's side), me and all my cousins are rewarded this fantastic opportunity just for being birthed 16 years ago. I know what you're thinking. "Spoiled brat." Nuh-uh. My grandmother is just so passionate about traveling and experiencing the world that God has put at our feet, so she wants her grandchildren to have the opportunity to do just what she loves. She and my Papa have been on every continent in the world including Antarctica. They have this huge map in their basement (which is actually outdated, including countries that don't exist and names that are passe) with pins of every place they've been. And my sister Caroline has started a board just like this of her own, so maybe some day I'll do the same. But anyways, back to my trip. I get to choose anywhere in the world to go for about a week, give or take. So I've done a little bit of research on what location might be fitting to my personality, and I've come up with a few places. But I'd love feedback from any readers who want to pitch in their two cents. This trip is once in a lifetime. Not that I won't travel in the future, but this time it's on Meme's dime. (: So I've come up with Santorini, Greece (inspired by Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants), Morroco, South Africa, Costa Rica, Russia (I only know of two cities to explore so far), New Zealand, Brazil, Argentina, India, and basically anywhere else that seems exotic and exciting. These places vary in customs, religions, traditions, topography (as my Aunt Robin would say), and many other things. But I want someplace that fits me like a glove yet pushes my limits and challenges me to live boldly. So here's what I want: Someplace beautiful with outdoor opportunities (zip lining, hiking, swimming, etc.), friendly people, pretty easy to get to, reasonably affordable, new, exciting, fun, full of music and dancing, will stretch my dollar, has good shopping, and can help me accomplish what's on my bucket list. It's a lot to ask for, but I'm a woman of little compromise. So I need your help. Research. Suggestions. Experiences. Dreams. Whatever. Lemme tell you where I've been so we can rule those out, too. Italy- Florence, Rome, Tuscany, Pisa, and Venice. France- Paris, Nice, the coast. Monaco. Mexico. And all over the U.S. I'd like to keep it out of the U.S. because this is an opportunity to "milk it." So there's your challenge. Your reward? Many fantastic pictures and posts of my adventure to come. Thank you, friends. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment