Monday, May 17, 2010

The Problem with Jane Austen


Jane Austen, the beloved author of classics like Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, brings problems into the lives of her female readers. After spending an evening soaking in the tub and watching Austen movies, I find my mind again wandering to which path my life will take. Which romance couple will be most like my own? Which struggles will I have? Will my hero be introduced in the first few pages or must I wait through two hundred pages of betrayal and intrigue? Much like the Disney princess movies, the books of Jane Austen have infiltrated our minds and built undue expectations for our personal stories. After a breakup we wonder, "Am I Jane Bennett? Will my Mr. Bingley come back to me?" or we ask, "Is he simply my Mr. Willaby, and Colonel Brandon will sweep me off my feet soon enough?" My favorite has been Persuasion. In this book the loss of love of a young couple is given a second chance. Go figure. There are lessons to hold onto in these books. Austen always points out the need to further understand people, not to go simply on your first impressions. She teaches following your heart and waiting it out when necessary. So I guess it is up to you what you take out of her stories. You can take out unrealistic expectations for your love life or you can take away practical advice for any relationships, whether friendship or romantic.

1 comment:

  1. I have always related to Persuasion. I may have to wait until I'm an "old maid" to find love, but that's okay with me. There's no rush. Remember the silly young girls are the most unhappy in her books.

    ReplyDelete