Sunday, July 25, 2010

cherry bomb,

So I just watched The Runaways. Earlier I saw a commercial for it saying that it was now on demand. I'd been wanting to see it and considering that my 5-hour nap today is preventing me from going to sleep at a normal hour, I went for it. First of all, I used to be an anti-Dakota Fanning kind of gal. She seemed to be an annoying little blonde girl who was given every opportunity I used to want when I acted. But I have to give her props. She was really B.A. in this movie. Yeah, she's young (she's actually about my age), but she knows how to play both an innocent little girl in danger of being killed and an exploited sweet sixteener kicking it in stripper heels and screaming into a microphone. Dakota has versatility to say the least. And something else I noticed in the film was the fantastic wardrobe her character wore. Everything from a maxi dress with a sheer 70's diva print to a hot red greaser jumpsuit to a simple San Francisco t-shirt with the words shaped like the Golden Gate Bridge intrigued me. Her character's style was always fearless and sexy, which is pretty extreme for how old she was. But I started to fear her a little bit because she radiated this attitude that self-doubt didn't even exist in her world. I wanted it, I craved that. And that edge just made me want to mix it up and maybe have a rebellious streak. Well, maybe not. Next on the list, Kristen Stewart. She bugged me before I saw this just like Dakota Fanning did. But these girls made an unstoppable duo that you can't even describe, yet watch and wonder in amazement of just how they're pulling this off. Stewart was basically the character she tries to be in real life: unique, indie, avant garde even. But this time I respected her a little more because she really did give me an impression of who Joan Jett was back then. So I leave you with advice to go watch The Runaways while I go do some research on 70's American rock. Later dudes.

P.S.-- Check this sweet interview out. Oh and this article, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment